HNTB served as lead consultant for the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District floodwater management project, which protects densely populated neighborhoods from major floods.
In addition, HNTB prepared the complex environmental assessment and developed design refinements to minimize potential impacts to natural resources. The design also incorporated measures to provide wetland impact mitigation, as well as ecosystem restoration improvements.
The project included:
• A large intake structure
• Two detention basins, each with 400 acre-feet of storage
• 3,000 feet of multibarrel, large-diameter, soft ground connecting tunnels
• Diversion structures that accommodate a flow rate of 8,000 cubic feet per second
• Ecological river channel restoration
• Habitat preservation areas establishe
Location: Milwaukee, MN
Client: Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District