HNTB is assisting the Indiana Department of Transportation in realizing a 75-year goal to upgrade State Road 37 to interstate highway standards. The 142-mile corridor’s final 26-mile segment, branded the I-69 Finish Line, connects Martinsville, Indiana, and Indianapolis.
HNTB worked with INDOT to provide the preliminary design and environmental impact statement for the northern-most 26 miles. This final stretch of new I-69 is estimated to bring approximately $4.1 billion in economic benefits and jobs to the Hoosier State over the next 20 years. When opened to traffic, the newest segment will heighten safety, increase mobility and enhance quality of life.
HNTB is serving in several capacities:
- Communication manager for all five construction contracts
- Lead designer for contracts 1 and 2
- Manager of corridor wide utilities and hydraulics; Subconsultant, providing expertise in communications, utilities and hydraulics for contracts three and four
- Design oversight of 8 miles of added travel lanes on I-465
- Technical procurement advisor and construction inspection lead for the contract 5 segment, the segment that contains three interchanges in an urbanized area, including a new interchange at I-465 and I-69
The I-69 Finish Line covers a three-county area. Getting all the communities on the same page and ensuring impacts and mitigation were equitable was important for this project’s success. HNTB collaborated with INDOT to create and implement a successful and transparent public involvement program.
Client: Indiana Department of Transportation
Awards: 2022 No. 1 Road, Roads & Bridges