A new aviation facility has revolutionized the way travelers navigate and explore Orlando International Airport, providing a seamless and unforgettable journey for the millions of visitors that come through its doors. From arrival to departure, this remarkable facility promises to enhance every aspect of the Orlando Experience™.
HNTB served as the architect of record to bring the Greater Orlando Airport Authority’s vision of a passenger-first experience to life. An ode to the region, the terminal is an architectural depiction of everything that attracts tourists to central Florida. The terminal’s design captures the elements of water, foliage and sky with expansive glass skylights, terrazzo artist interpretations of natural springs and incredibly life-like artificial palm and bald cypress trees. The design is highlighted by massive electronic media entertainment features that display iconic scenes of central Florida fauna, flora and attractions that more than 50 million guests a year come to Orlando to see.
Terminal C not only provides a positive and welcoming experience, but also maximizes the safety, security and efficiency of the travel process. The project incorporates many industry firsts, such as:
- 100% total virtual ramp control for airline ground operations
- 100% automated public screening lanes at the TSA checkpoint
- 100% facial recognition “e-gates” for international arrival and departures
- “Bags First” design in Customs and Border Protections Arrivals
- 100% trackable baggage handling system
- Fully integrated, multimodal airport terminal with direct high-speed rail connectivity
- A design targeting LEED®v4 campus-wide certification
Built on a foundation of communication, collaboration and coordination, the successful completion of Terminal C represents the largest expansion in the history of Orlando International Airport and the next phase of HNTB’s partnership in serving GOAA as it continues its ascension as a leader among the world’s airports.
Location: Orlando, FL
Client: Greater Orlando Aviation Authority
Services: Architect of Record