I-95/Scudder Falls Bridge Improvement
Bucks County, Pennsylvania and Mercer County, New Jersey
HNTB prepared an environmental assessment for improvements to I-95 in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, including the Scudder Falls Bridge over the Delaware River. The project, which was completed for the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission, included widening 4.4 miles of I-95, improving two interchanges and constructing a new bridge over the Delaware River, Delaware Canal, and Delaware & Raritan Canal.
As part of the EA, HNTB led the following activities:
• Preparation of the Section 4(f) Evaluation;
• Completion of the Section 106 Consultation, including a Programmatic Agreement;
• Completion of Section 7 Consultation, including preparation of a Biological Assessment; and;
• Tolling amendment to the EA to consider the potential consequences of tolling the replacement bridge;
• Implementation of an extensive public participation program; and
• Negotiating with resources and regulatory agencies, which led to development of mitigation plans focused on protection of river resources, including the federally-endangered Atlantic sturgeon several protected mussel species and river habitat present in the Delaware River.
HNTB secured a Finding of No Significant Impact to conclude the NEPA environmental review process, and the project is in the final design phase.